March 5, 2009

25 Ways to Love Yourself

I had another therapy session today. It really opened my eyes to something I had been missing. My counselor told me that she was proud of me. Proud of me for making the progress I have. Proud of me for getting the help I needed. Proud of me for being strong and persevering despite my circumstances. She said she hoped I was proud of myself too.

I'm learning to love myself more every day. So instead of writing about how to love yourself more, to avoid being preachy, today I'm going to practice it. I'm going to make a list of 25 things I love about myself. This is actually going to be challenging, although it shouldn't. A person should be able to list off their strengths just as easily as their shortcomings.

Now is not the time for modesty. I'm going to compliment myself, flatter myself, basically be arrogant. But it's okay if they're true things. I realize they don't make me better than anyone else. But feeling above others is not my problem. It's feeling beneath them. Anyway. Here goes nuthin.

1. I have a brilliant mind.
2. I am pretty, some have even said beautiful.
3. I genuinely care about others.
4. I'm generous with my time.
5. I am a gifted writer.
6. I am a talented singer.
7. I am a loyal friend.
8. I dress uniquely, but nicely.
9. I'm a heck of a make-up wizard.
10. I'm a decent cook.
11. I do not use profanity.
12. I am the limbo queen.
13. I have real curves.
14. I am a good leader.
15. If I set a goal, I will stop at nothing to achieve it.
16. I am a hard worker.
17. I'm a phenomenal multi-tasker.
18. I try to keep God first.
19. I have a sense of rhythm. (a.k.a. I can dance)
20. I love to volunteer.
21. I adore laughter and produce it at every opportunity.
22. I am a very accepting person. I love everyone for who they are, and sometimes in spite of who they are.
23. I pursue my dreams passionately.
24. I am a good listener.
25. I actively seek to lead a life of purity.

There for a minute, I didn't think it was possible. It makes me feel good to know that there are 25 things I can love about myself. I encourage you to leave a comment with a list of your own. It may be a challenge, but it's a good lesson in loving yourself as you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment